How to Clean Up Mold ?

Mold is a moisture problem.  Mold growth is encouraged by warm and humid conditions. 

Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with soap and water.  Porous materials like wallboard, sheet rock, insulation, or carpet pad, if not able to be quickly dried out will likely need to be replaced.  Molds can thrive on any organic matter, including clothing, leather, paper, and the ceilings, walls and floors of homes with moisture management problems.  Painting or caulking over mold will not solve the problem. 

Follow the EPA's guidance in Table 1 - Water Damage: Cleanup and Mold Prevention:

EPA_Mold_Remediation_Table_1.jpg

 

When Cleaning Up Mold use appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). This is usually an N-95 air filtering respirator.  These can be purchased at a home or hardware store for a couple of dollars.  If removal of building materials is needed, safety glasses and sturdy gloves are helpful.  Put moldy materials in trash bags to prevent mold spores from spreading when moving through your home.  For larger mold problems, containing the area can be helpful.  Use polyethylene sheeting to cover doorways and vents.  Put a fan in an open window to constantly blow the indoor air outdoors.

Bleach can be an asthma trigger.  Using bleach to clean mold is typically not necessary unless a sewage release occurred.  In this case, both mold and bacteria can be reduced using a bleach solution as a final disinfecting rinse.  If disinfectants or bleach is used, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors. Never mix chlorine bleach with other cleaning solutions or with detergents that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could be produced.